The city originated from a Dutch settlement on the Passaic River established in 1679 which was called Acquackanonk. Industrial growth began in the 19th century, as Passaic became a textile and metalworking center. Passaic was formed within Acquackanonk Township on March 10, 1869, and was incorporated as an independent village on March 21, 1871. Passaic was chartered as a city on April 2, 1873.
The 1926 Passaic Textile Strike led by union organizer Albert Weisbord had 36,000 mill workers leave their jobs to oppose wage cuts demanded by the textile industry. The workers successfully fought to keep their wages unchanged but did not receive recognition of their union by the mill owners.
Passaic has been called “The Birthplace of Television”. In 1931, experimental television station W2XCD began transmitting from DeForest Radio Corp. in Passaic. It has been called the first television station to transmit to the home, and was the first such station to broadcast a feature film. Allen B. DuMont, formerly DeForest’s chief engineer, opened pioneering TV manufacturer DuMont Laboratories in Passaic in 1937, and started the DuMont Television Network, the world’s first commercial television network, in 1946. The Okonite company began manufacturing electrical cable here in 1888, with early uses of the company’s insulated wires including some of the earliest telegraph cables and the wiring for Thomas Edison’s Pearl Street Station in Lower Manhattan.
In 1992, the voters of Passaic Township in Morris County voted to change the name of their municipality to Long Hill Township, to avoid confusion between the City of Passaic and the largely rural community 22 miles (35 km) away, as well as association with the more urban city.
Passaic is served by two newspapers, The Record and The Star-Ledger.
Passaic (/p?’se?.?k/ p?-SAY-ik or local /p?’se?k/ p?-SAYK) is a city in Passaic County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the city had a total population of 69,781, maintaining its status as the 15th largest municipality in New Jersey with an increase of 1,920 residents (+2.8%) from the 2000 Census population of 67,861, which had in turn increased by 9,820 (+16.9%) from the 58,041 counted in the 1990 Census.
Located north of Newark on the Passaic River, it was first settled in 1678 by Dutch traders, as Acquackanonk Township. The city and river draw their name from the Lenape word “pahsay�k” which has been variously attributed to mean “valley” or “place where the land splits.”
Passaic is located at 40�51?23?N 74�07?37?W / 40.856413�N 74.12694�W / 40.856413; -74.12694 (40.856413,-74.12694). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city had a total area of 3.244 square miles (8.401 km2), of which, 3.146 square miles (8.149 km2) of it was land and 0.098 square miles (0.253 km2) of it (3.01%) was water. Passaic is bordered on the north, west and south by the City of Clifton, and to the east by the Passaic River.
Passaic is located 10 miles (16 km) from New York City, and 12 miles (19 km) from Newark Airport.
Passaic has several business districts: Main Avenue begins in Passaic Park and follows the curve of the river to downtown. Broadway runs east – west through the center of the city, ending at Main Avenue in downtown. Monroe Street has many shops, restaurants and businesses reflecting the city’s Latino and Eastern European populations.
The city is home to several architecturally notable churches, including St. John’s Lutheran Church, First Presbyterian of Passaic, and St. John’s Episcopal Church.
Southwest Passaic (known as Passaic Park) is a residential and institutional center of Orthodox Judaism, with 25-30 minyanim on Shabbos, and 1,300 families, as well as being home to numerous yeshivas, schools and other institutions. There are also kosher food and shopping establishments.
Passaic Park takes its name from Third Ward Park. This area is also noted for its large mansions and homes of various architectural styles, especially Victorian and Tudor. Several condominium and cooperative apartment complexes are also located here including: Carlton Tower (at 22 stories, the city’s tallest structure ), Presidential Towers, and Barry Gardens (which are all located within walking distance of each other near a stretch of Passaic Avenue between Lafayette Avenue and Green Court).
|Passaic, New Jersey|
|City of Passaic|
|Map of Passaic in Passaic County. Inset: Location of Passaic County highlighted in the State of New Jersey.|
|Census Bureau map of Passaic, New Jersey|
|Coordinates: 40�51?23?N 74�07?37?W / 40.856413�N 74.12694�W / 40.856413; -74.12694Coordinates: 40�51?23?N 74�07?37?W / 40.856413�N 74.12694�W / 40.856413; -74.12694|
|Incorporated||April 2, 1873|
|o Type||Faulkner Act (Mayor-Council)|
|o Mayor||Alex Blanco (term ends June 30, 2017)|
|o Administrator||Rick Fernandez|
|o Clerk||Amada Curling|
|o Total||3.244 sq mi (8.401 km2)|
|o Land||3.146 sq mi (8.149 km2)|
|o Water||0.098 sq mi (0.253 km2) 3.01%|
|Area rank||324th of 566 in state 11th of 16 in county|
|Elevation||98 ft (30 m)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|o Estimate (2012 )||70,218|
|o Rank||15th of 566 in state 3rd of 16 in county|
|o Density||22,179.6/sq mi (8,563.6/km2)|
|o Density rank||7th of 566 in state 1st of 16 in county|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|o Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0885342|